I love Anthropologie's Zinc Letters, but at $18 each, they can get a little pricey. I love Paper Source's Craft Letters (which I made into silver glitter letters, here, using spray adhesive and loose silver glitter), and at $3.75 they are a much more attractive choice. This is a super easy DIY, it will take you about 10 minutes! And the less perfect it is, the better!
- A balled up piece of paper towel
- Folk Art Metallic Acrylic Paint in "Pearl White"
- Folk Art Acrylic Paint in "Pure Black"
- 2 Sponged Paint Brushes (if you only have one, just wash and reuse it)
*All the materials to create the "Zinc" look I found at Michaels.
1. Layout your materials on a safe work space (I just layered a couple pieces of packing paper), and used a mini glass bowl to hold the paint.
2. Paint each letter with the black paint. You'll be surprised at how quickly the paint will dry. You can cover the entire front and back at once. And don't worry about even strokes, this is one of the few DIY projects that you don't have to be a perfectionist ... it's so freeing! ;)
3. Let the fully painted black letters sit for a couple minutes.
4. Start with the back side, and paint section by section with the "Pearl White" paint. Right after you paint a section, go over it with your balled up paper towel. Press down and twist the paper towel, it will give it that antiqued metal look.
5. And you're done! Display, and enjoy!
I used these two letters for a Wedding Shower, and made a tassel garland (you can see my tassel garland tutorial, here) with each letter hanging off 36" round balloons ...